Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 Year in Review and Looking Ahead

With the new year comes new beginnings, and it's often a time of reflection. 2013 started a bit rough for me and my family with the passing of my Nana. She died in February 2013 from Lymphoma Cancer and it was devastating to the entire family. She was a wonderful woman and her and I were very close. My sister and I would visit her often and bring her meals because she didn't have the energy to cook on her own. We would have tea, cookies and just chat about anything and everything. She would often refer to us as the 'Golden Girls'. It's an inside joke between the three of us that I will cherish and remember forever. I am very for fortunate that I was able to say goodbye to her when it was her time though. I thanked her for everything she has ever done for me and told her how much I loved her and how much she meant to me. Not many people have that chance and I am so grateful that I did. 

I really miss you Nana, everyday and always. I love you so much.

My Nana and I on my wedding day in August 2009.

2013 had very good moments though. My nephew Riley was born in June. He is such a little cutie. He's my sister's second boy; her oldest son Logan is the same age as Eric. Riley is starting to sit up on his own now and has the cutest laugh. He really melts my heart.

Riley, born June 8th, 2013

2013 also brought on a stronger relationship for my husband Doug and I. We are working on our relationship constantly because there have been some trying times in the past (as with most relationships), but things are getting better and going really well.

Aside from that, we spent a lot of time with our family and friends which is always a goal for us.

As I look into what 2014 with bring, I see a lot of growth, opportunity and good times. I hope to finish my wedding and event planning course and hopefully start on that path soon. Event Planning is my dream job and I am working hard to make it happen.

A few other highlights include:

  • My sister Shannon and I have booked a night away in Niagara Falls this month, complete with a spa treatment. It has been a while since we did an overnight trip together so I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be posting about this one.
  • My good friends are getting married in February, in which I am the Best Man. I'm super excited about this one!
  • I turn 30 this year. I am hoping to have a big celebration or go on vacation. However, this will be bitter sweet for me because I'll no longer be in my twenties. This kind of makes me sad! 
  • My husband booked us a weekend away in beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake for the Spring. This was a pretty awesome Christmas present.
  • Last but not least - Doug and I will be celebrating our 5th Wedding Anniversary in August! No plans yet but I'm sure I'll blog about it!
There is just so much to look forward to and I'm so thankful we have the opportunity to do all of these wonderful things!

Having said that, I want to wish you and your family a very Happy New Year. May 2014 bring new blessings and wishes come true. I look forward to your visits on my blog!

And with that, I leave you with the first official 'Photobomb Selfie' of 2014 (taken just after midnight), courtesy of my friend Chris!
Doug and I, with Chris!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment