Monday, October 14, 2013

Giving Thanks

This past weekend we celebrated Thanksgiving (for us Canadian folk), and it was absolutely wonderful. We had a lot of family fun that included the pumpkin patch, a fire station tour, Springridge Farms, and a lot of family time. This time of year always makes me happy. It's filled with pretty fall colours and great weather, and is perfect for those nice Fall boots and scarves, among other things!

Though Fall boots and scarves are nice, Thanksgiving always reminds me how lucky we really are. I often think about how people around the world (or even people in our own city) are less fortunate then we are; with little to no food, no shelter, and in some cases no family. We take everything around us for granted, without even thinking about it. We turn on the faucet for a drink of water, we eat the food on our table, we have shelter, clothes, public education, etc.

There are many variables that affect the situation people are in, but I truly feel blessed for what I have and for what I am able to give. For example, just a few months ago my husband Doug and I spent around $100 on baby food items and donated it all the our local Food Share, and we make it appoint to donate to the Salvation Army every Christmas. We even had our three year old go through his toys so he could donate them, "to other little boys and girls who don't have any toys" as he put it. I also just donated blood for the first time last month.

If you have the capability to give in any way, whether it be a food, toy, or other donation, I encourage you do to so - every little bit helps.

I feel so blessed that I have the friends and family that I do. I really give a lot of credit to my parents for raising three kids with the values of helping other's and giving back to the community, while also providing us with the best childhood as possible while oftentimes struggling financially. Hard work, kindness, and  respect were driven into us and I only hope that I have taught Eric some of these values already and that I can continue to do so in the future.

I am thankful for my husband and son. My husband and I have had some rough times together but he's always there for me no matter what. His love and support has really helped me at times when I've needed it most and I am so thankful for that. My son is my rock. I love him more than he will ever know. He's my sunshine, my little man, my everything. I am so lucky to be his mom.

I am grateful for friends who have been there for me for many, many years. While either helping me with my personal demons or for simply lending an ear when I needed to vent. You guys are my rock and I probably can't ask for anyone better.

So this Thanksgiving, I am thankful for family, friends, freedom, choice and all that I have.

- Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment