Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Chicken and Cauliflower Chili


Do you need an alternate to your regular chili? Well, then I found a recipe for you!

I'm a big ole' chili fan myself, but just the name of this chili was very intriguing to me so I decided to give it a try. Let me tell you - it did not disappoint! It is so good and has a nice little kick to it. I also found it to be a much lighter meal then regular chili, which is also a plus for me.

The recipe itself comes from Foodland Ontario. Foodland Ontario helps Ontarians (and others!) chose fresh, local grown produce, all while supporting local farmers and businesses. There website provides recipes, tips, food facts, and more.

The recipe itself was found in a small recipe booklet that I picked up in the produce section of my local grocery store. Free recipe books are the best, aren't they?

Let's get started.

Prep Time: 15 Mins, Cooking Time: 40 Minutes, Serves: 4 - 5

Ingredients:
2 tbsp          Vegetable or Canola Oil
1 lb               
Boneless Skinless Chicken, cut in 1-inch cubes
2                 
Onions, chopped
3                  
Gloves Garlic, minced
1                  
Sweet Green Pepper, coarsely chopped
3 cups        
Cauliflower Flourets
4 tsp            
Chili Powder (or to taste) - I used 3
1 tsp             
each ground cumin, dried oregano leaves and salt
1                  
can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
1                 
can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken, onions and garlic until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add green pepper, cauliflower, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt; cook, stirring for 1 minute.

2. Add tomatoes and beans; bring to a boil. reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. I actually made this later in the evening, so I packed a lunch for Doug and I, and then freezed the rest (I will post about freezer cooking a bit later).

Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment