Tuesday, February 12, 2013

DIY Valentine's Day Gift

This year I decided to make my own Valentine's Day gift for my 2 year-old son's daycare. I chose something that wasn't candy because I didn't want to step on any parent's toes in case they don't allow their children to have any. Instead, I went with the almighty Goldfish. A favourite toddler snack in my opinion. I've never met one who didn't like them!

This particular gift is so easy and very cheap to make. I think altogether I spent about $3  - $4 on each one.

Here is a list of supplies you'll need:

  • Cracker Goldfish
  • A small take-out container from Michael's (only $1.29 each), or a small container of your choice.
  • Glue or double-sided tape
  • Printer
  • Scoop/Spoon
  • Ribbon
  • Bowl
I find that the take-out containers from Michael's work best because they have handles that are perfect for little hands.

Using MS Publisher, I made 1.5 inch label rounds in blue that say "will you o'fish'ally be my Valentine?". If you would like the template, you can access the blue one here. I also made it in pink, which is available here. You will notice that on my son's gift that I typed in his name, but I left that part blank in my templates so you can input any name.

Now for the very easy instructions:
  1. Print the templates above (or use your own); cut them out.
  2. Wash out your take-out box (or other container).
  3. Glue your printed rounds onto the front of the take-out box. Let it sit for a few seconds to ensure it doesn't fall off.
  4. Fill the container with Goldfish. Have your kids to help - they will love it!
  5. Once the box is closed, wrap a ribbon around it and ensure there is a bow on top.
That's it! How easy is that?


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that it inspires you. If you have any idea's you'd like to share, let me know and maybe I can feature them on the blog.

Oh, and just remember - try not to eat all the Goldfish before you have to use them!



1 comment: